The Artist movie Poster
About
Alrighty, ya'll. So this was a poster that I did for a friend who wrote a screenplay called the Artist. It's suppose to be a sort of drama/fantasy movie (similar to A Beautiful Mind, Heroes TV show, and Sunshine of the Spotless Mind). Even though I had pretty free reign on the project, I descided to include some of the movie artwork since the movie's main character (also onthe poster) is a college student that is also comic book artist. Thus, the sketched image in the lower corner (by the way, not my art) and the eye detail.
Process and Critique
As per request (since I'm not sure if we're suppose to discuss process/about or not for the critique assignment or not), I'm going to quickly go over what I did for this poster. I wanted to include something impactful as well as something intriguing/mysterious for the image. I felt that the close up of the main protagonist's face shrouded with a red hood, not only brought out a movie-esque feel but also helped express the darker nature of the story. The red was supposed to be reminiscent of the red used by a good number of heroes in their costume designs, but with the shadow it obscures the effect of "hero."
The effect with the eye, I felt brought the nature out that he's an artist and that's apart of the character (as well as with the sketch) but I now I feel it takes away a bit of the effect of the image, since the image's texture and coloring reflected the artistic style already being painterly. I think the only part I actually did a paint over was the shape of the face (placement of features) and the eyes, specifically. Only because I wanted the protagonist to be recognizable right when the film started. I did a paint over on the eyes, because I feel that the eyes are the hardest to reproduce for a person, since the eyes are where most of the emotion is for that person.
For the design sakes of this piece, I probably would redo a few things, such as the font choice for the title and caption (however for this I have to say that I don't remember if these were already chosen by the production).
[The Artist website]
Critique
I love your Artist Poster and I think it has good work of color and lighting. However, you don't really go into much detail about how you made it or the idea behind it. For an assignment like this, you should talk about what the movie was about and how you came up with the current artwork. Right now, what you wrote leaves me with more questions and a need to know more.
ReplyDeleteYou also don't include any other artwork besides this one. Maybe you will load more before Tuesday, but this doesn't give me a good range of your ability.