Monday, October 3, 2011

Review of CGHub.com

So I'm going to review CGHub.com. It's a lot like other forum places such as CGSociety.org but I personally like it because it acts like a one stop shop. The design is easy to get, for one, and they have challenges, job postings, forums, classes, and even tools (this is my favorite, since I love collecting brushes).
I think for someone like myself (AKA a student torn between 2D and 3D art), I think that this site really gives you a good chunk of both worlds with forums and challenges dedicated to both 2D and 3D digital art.
I also like that they have a place to search for jobs and that it's quite easy since you can upload a portfolio to the site and just click "submit portfolio" for a job.
The forum space provides industry news, education information (such as colleges and different classes you can take), jobs among other things.
However, the most appealing thing about this site is the challenges. I often find myself horribly uninspired just because I don't have a direction to draw towards..a goal, if you will. With the plethora of challenges available (and, for myself, a 2D Drawing Jam that is held roughly bi-weekly) there's always something that can be done or to do. If you don't want to draw, you can participate in the 3D jams or even something for environmental designers called "New Worlds." I think because of this, this provides ANY digital artist the foot-in to this awesome community. =)

Other sites to check out.
Characterdesign.blogspot.com - A blog that has tons of interviews from different character designers, illustrators, story artists, etc. in the industry ranging from movies to games. If you'd like to know how artists from places like Disney, Pixar, and DreamWorks so their thing, and learn more about them...this site rocks! It also links to tons of professional galleries which helps provide a good model for students.

CharacterDesigns.Com - Although not the best site, I really like that it's a nice reference location available if you're feeling stumped for character creation. They have a selection of artists that you can browse through, plus (I'm a sucker for extras if you haven't noticed...) they have tutorials, textures and photo sets you can peruse to help you light up your fancy.

Imagine FX Magazines - I'll tell you right now...I'm an addict to this magazine. They're a bit pricey (especially state-side) but they are TOTALLY worth it. They give you updates on new and upcoming artists, as well as featured high-profile artists which is awesome! They have tutorials on a plethora of things (that isn't ALL digital, because we all need to start traditionally...at least that's what I think) and they have a great Q&A that covers things that you might find yourself asking on different projects (ex. "How do I make zombie skin look dead?" or "How do I place my character in background properly?") And of course, I LOVE...LOVE extras (and free stuff) so the fact that every magazine comes with a content disc that has all the tutorials and files, but also has either free stock images, textures, brushes, patterns, fonts, or video tutorials. Fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment