The images are as such...
First let me get this off my chest, because this is VERY irritating. I originally submitted the post several day prior to when my assignment was due. However, it wasn't accepted, when I went to look at the post (which wasn't there) the day the assignment was due. So I resubmitted almost the EXACT SAME post AGAIN on the day the assignment was due which was October 31st. And I waited...and waited...and waited. Nothing. FOR ALMOST A MONTH. Nothing. NO responses. Nothing. It came to the point where I was so distraught (with other stressors adding on top of this one) that my husband made an account and posted a reply to my post. This was on November 21st. After his post, two more people posted. And that was it. Perhaps I'm not much of a forum poster, but I think that's a bit ridiculous if you ask me.
And sadly the responses I don't think were overly helpful. I'm still working on the "taking criticism" part of being a stronger artist. Here...lemme show you the posts...
My Husband's Post (since I only have two posts from industry peers and I need three for the assignment)
I think the first piece is more high end video game then real. The face does not have any marks or texture to it. I wonder if its supposed to seemed Photoshopped? like today's models in a magazine.
I agree to the middle piece comments. I think its the forehead that throws me off. It seems over pronounced on the right side of the face (stage left). Perhaps if you could bring it back so it sticks out less.
I like the last piece. I am used to seeing art books with similar layouts but the characters have a flat face. I like that this one is a bit snarky. I like the detail in the arm guard and foot piece!
Post Critique #1
In the last picture, it looks like she has a diaper and not a big butt. Check for reference, her butt is really hanging down very unattractively.
If you want to achieve more realism - draw what is there and not what you expect to see. There's usually a shadow under the lower lip and the angles are not that defined. Try to draw with round lines instead of angled lines.
Post Critique #2 (in reference to image 1)
Cartoons are about shape and simplification. If you want a more realistic look pay attention to form and value. (Shape = 2D, Form = 3D) For example, I doubt this lady had lips that were the same value as her skin and there was no variation on the light falling on them. And I'm pretty sure they didn't come with thick black outlines around them unless she happens to be mime who wears lipliner. Those sorts of choices are going to make faces you draw less realistic and more cartoony.
If you can, work with figures that have a good mix of shadows and highlights on the face so you have less incentive to outline everything to define it. Another thing you maybe ought to get away from is leaving the entire face as white. If you have to colour the whole thing lightly it might force you to actually think about what value the face really is and how that value changes.
Post #1 My Response:
I agree partially to Post #1 in that she may look like she's wearing a diaper, since I didn't see it that way before to which I'll be editing. Although I'm a bit wounded by such a bold statement, I'll take that to heart and think about how my character looks and how I want her too. However, I'm not too keen on the second statement. First, I'm tired of people regurgitating the whole "draw what you see, not what you expect to see" crap. It's a lame go-to, honestly, in terms of critique. Also, the comment on angles, I can understand, however that's how I draw. Also, I'm guessing it's a reference to the first drawing, however it was an assignment drawing. The professor wanted me to draw the piece a certain way with defined LINES and little to NO shading. I'll work on line variation since I didn't focus it so much on here, but I focused on value variation in my lines because THAT'S ALL I COULD DO FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT. I tried to draw differently and got marked down because of it. I posted it because I thought it came out rather well despite restrictions on style.
Post #2 My Response:
This is mostly a repeat of what I said for Post #1's second comment. It was focused on defining form with little to no shading. Also I don't agree with the comment on color. Perhaps it's because I've been drilled in my mind to understand value first before color and an image should read as value scale as easily as it does colored (which can also provide distraction). So I disagree.
My Take from This:
Sadly nothing exciting. After waiting for about a month and getting my first initial post ignored by the admins, it feels lackluster and uninviting. I get more feedback from classroom peers than these "industry peers." Perhaps it's because students are required to think of SOMETHING during a critique session so they pull more and get creative with the feedback, when these industry people don't really care. Really, I'm just disappointed.
Also, maybe I'm just spoiled or just too sensitive for critiques, but I've always been taught for giving "constructive criticism" to apply positive feedback mixed with negative so that way the person knows what's working and what's not. Isn't that what constructive criticism means? Perhaps these people can draw but it doesn't make them experts on it, let alone teachers/instructors.
Perhaps it might be just the community. I'm not a fan of the conceptart.org community. I actually deem a lot of the users on there as pretentious. Also, as superficial as it seems, the layout of the forum is abhorrently unorganized and difficult to navigate, so while I'm on it I already get frustrated. Sigh...what I'm really in search for is a good community with professionals that I deem worthy to respect. ::rides off on high horse::
No comments:
Post a Comment